Friday, August 20, 2010

The Outsiders

    My class went to the splash park this week.
    The water was cold and the sun was very sleepy behind those clouds.
    But the kids loved running around and being able to get their teachers wet.  But then comes the dilema of the non-joiners.  You know those children who go to the outside of the fun and won't commit to actually taking part in the activity.
    Today I had to take a step back and enjoy these children for who they are.  These children are the watchers, the small voices, and the kind friends.  I think we as teachers and parents need to enjoy the many different kinds of tempermants that come with more than two kids in one environment.
    I did not need to force the children to go in the water(although I might have tried once or twice).  I did not need to force the children to adhere to my standards.  I needed to get down to the children's level, take part in their play, and encourage others to join in if they so chose. 
    So here is my challenge to you parents and teachers.  Take a break from the pushing and prodding, and just let your children be.  Find out who they are and meet them where they are at.
    For teachers you can ask those children what their interests are and try to include those in your future lesson plans.  Teachers could also pay attention to those activities that the non-joiners will join in on and try to stretch out from there.
    Perhaps the children are enjoying being monsters(I know mine do, you can hear the growls from miles away).  A whole lesson plan could revolve around monsters in order to catch all of the children's attentions.
    For parents, instead of going with the majority, ask the smaller voice what they want to do for dinner, to do for game night, or to do for play time.
    A little attention goes a long way within the classroom and within the home.  Remember even the smallest voice can have the most to say!

1 comment: