Monday, October 11, 2010

I suppose there is such a thing as too many pancakes

    I digress from my Autumn extravaganza to look into a problem that my friend and preschool parent told me about. She has had mornings where herself, the kids, and husband are full, but there is still quite a bit of pancake batter left in the bowl. Could there be an alternative use for the leftover batter?
    I found the answer on BettyCrocker.com. Most recipes are for savory dishes, although there are a couple desert options. 
    There are some people I ran across online who swear that pancake batter can substitute for flour, eggs, and milk, in cookie dough recipes. I find this hard to believe, but I thought I would share my favorite recipes that I found on the BettyCrocker website.
    Big-Batch Cheese-Garlic Biscuits:(Which got me to thinking of Red Lobster...mmmm...)
    Ingredients:
  • 8 Cups Original Bisquick Mix
  • 2 2/3 Cups of milk
  • 2 Cups shredded cheese
  • 1 Cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
     1.   Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a 3 1/2-to-4 quart bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, and cheese until soft dough forms; beat 30 seconds.
    2.    On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by 40-48 spoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
    3.    Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  In small bowl, mix butter and garlic powder, brush on warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheets.  Serve warm (www.bettycrocker.com/recipes).  
    Tips:
  • Try adding the butter and garlic right into the batter
  • Remember that the biscuits may take a few more minutes or a few less minutes to bake, in accordance to the kind of oven you use
  • Remember to get the kids involved by showing them how to measure(math) and letting them pour and mix!   

    Pies are another idea that the web site throws around.  The thought of this chocolate pie makes my mouth water.
    Impossibly Easy Chocolate-Coconut Pie
    Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups milk
  • 1/4 Cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
  • 1 Cup coconut
  • 3/4 Cup sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Original Bisquick Mix
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 eggs, slightly beatened
  • 1 Cup frozen (thawed) whipped cream
    Look under recipes, click on the main ingredient icon, and then choose Bisquick from the sidebar to get to these and other great looking recipes. 

 






References/Sources: 
    Betty Crocker:Expertise from our kitchen to yours.  General Mills and associates. <:// http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/main-ingredient/bisquick-mix-recipes://>  Viewed:October 11, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment