Friday, October 8, 2010

"Mumpkin, Pumpkin, make me a bat!"

    If you do not know of "The Great Bear Scare" movie, then you missed out on some of your childhood and have no idea what the title of this post means.  If you remember being scared for Ted E. Bear, then you know what I am talking about and can reminisce.  I would suggest watching either that movie, or "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!", bust out the pumpkin carving kit, and go to town with the kiddies because it's October!
    Hopefully you have kids that will enjoy the feeling of the pumpkin innards.  I had a few in my classroom that when asked if they would put their hand in the pumpkin, gave me a resounding, "No!".  We took out long metal spoons for those who were a bit squeamish when it came to the old adage, "No guts, no glory".
    No matter if your children want to get down and dirty or not, they can still help out with the toasting of the pumpkin seeds!  This was my first year undertaking this tradition.  Which means I got many people saying, "I've never had pumpkin seeds like this!".  Now whether that is truly good or bad, you be the judge.
    Personally I have quite the sweet tooth so I made cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds, but I have been told that the salty options are the best.  Here is the recipe I used, although I did steer away a bit by adding the cinnamon sugar mix to my oiled seeds.

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon salt(I added the cinnamon sugar mixed)
  • Remember to separate the seeds away from the pumpkin innards
Directions:

 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Spread the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with oil.  Sprinkle with salt or desired seasoning.  Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted.

Tips:
  • Substitute cooking spray or fake butter spray to have a healthier snack.
  • Use melted butter for a more decadent snack.
  • Let your children sprinkle the seasonings on the seeds to get them involved.
  • Remember, there are infinite possibilities when it comes to seasonings. Just use seasonings you and your children love!  
    References/Resources     1.  Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe-Allrecipes.com.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Toasted-Pumpkin-Seeds/Detail.aspx.  2010. 

No comments:

Post a Comment